Ethiopian Partners Chad In National Airline Launch

August 27, 2018

Bookmark and Share

Ethiopian Airlines announced its participation in a second national airline launch, with an agreement with the government of Chad.

Tchadia Airlines will launch in October after the joint venture agreement was finalised last week in Addis Ababa. The government of Chad will retain a 51 percent controlling stake in the airline, with Ethiopian the remaining 49 percent.

Ethiopian announced last week a similar joint venture with Zambia to form a new national airline for that country. Zambia Airways, which is part of Ethiopian’s Vision 2025 multiple hub strategy, is not expected to launch until next year.

“The new Chad national carrier will serve as a strong hub in Central Africa availing domestic, regional and eventually international air connectivity to the major destinations in the Middle East, Europe and Asia,” Ethiopian’s group chief executive Tewolde GebreMariam said.

“I wish to thank His Excellency President Idriss Deby Itno, the Government of Chad and the stakeholders in the aviation sector in Chad for their strong support to the project.”

Ethiopian Airlines operates 108 aircraft to over 100 domestic, regional and international destinations. Its fleet includes Airbus A350, Boeing 787 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.